Monday, February 25, 2008

Things I've Learned

I've learned quite a bit from this election cycle.

I've learned that the bulk of the conservative chattering class are nothing more than masses of hot air doing what they can to keep their ratings from floundering. They've slammed one candidate for what they consider to be leftist policies yet supported another who's policies were distinctly leftist.

I've learned that the Republican party wants evangelicals to cast their votes and then go away. They neither want nor appreciate Christians becoming involved in any other way other than voting.

I've learned that because of poor leadership within the party, the Republicans will end up with a nominee that most of us can neither get behind or get excited about.

If the Republican party honestly seeks to allow illegals to enter this nation in hopes of them becoming part of the GOP voting block, than I would say that they're dreaming. If the Republican party wishes to reach out to the homosexual movements in hopes of forming a gay GOP base, then I have to say they're dreaming. From where I'm standing, this is exactly what they seem to be striving for though I have no idea why. I beleive it is certain though, if they really believe that they are going to regain the majority with out the evangelical vote they're sadly mistaken.

I'm not sure what my next move will be. I'm sure come November, I will plug my nose and cast my vote for McCain, Once again, voting for the lesser of the two evils.

No matter how the primaries finally turn out, I've learned that Mike Huckabee will go down as one of the men that I most admire. I believe that were it not for his pastoral background, he would be the candidate in the lead right now for the Republican nominations. He has the personality, the ideas, the intelligence and the motivation to succeed. Unfortunately for him the very source from which he gained all these attributes is exactly why he's been for the most part, blackballed by the establishment Republicans.

I believe that the damage that's been done to the GOP is going to take a long time to fix. I just hope that we can live with these consequences for four or eight maybe even twelve more years.

No comments: